Friday, February 9, 2007

Welcome to the Publishing Careers Blog

I think the concept of “informational interviews” was first mentioned decades ago in Richard Bolles’s groundbreaking career book, What Color Is Your Parachute? The idea is that talking with people who actually do the job you aspire to is the best way to find out what the job is really like—and possibly make some connections in the process.

As an editor at JIST Publishing (a leader in the career-book business), I have been called upon frequently to meet with, talk with, and e-mail with aspiring editors and publishing professionals, to answer their questions about what I do. Invariably, these three questions always are among what I’m asked:
  • How did you get where you are?
  • What is a typical day like for you?
  • Do you have any tips for someone who wants to get into publishing?

I dutifully answer their questions based on my own opinions gleaned from 16 years as a professional editor, eight of those editing career books. But I always wonder whether the advice I dispense could be stronger if it were combined with the wisdom of many other publishing people, and updated on a daily basis.

So after scheduling my second informational interview this week, a light suddenly clicked on:
I could put my advice in a blog, add the opinions and resources of others, and provide a truly useful service for people who, like me 16 years ago, are either unsure of their direction or how to get there. Several people volunteered their time to tell me about their jobs when I was in college. In the name of karma, I enjoy giving back.

So check back here regularly for what I think is going to be a unique and spectacular look at a profession that holds fascination for so many of us. And if you like what you read, be sure to tip your writer by clicking on the ads!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Informational interviewing is such a wonderful way to learn about careers of interest! What a great idea for a blog. I look forward to your future posts.

Lori Cates Hand said...

Thanks, Stevie! I appreciate your support.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,

I just came across your blog and wish I had found it sooner - what a great idea. Sending a big thank-you for those recent graduates who, like me, dream of a career in publishing.

A new reader,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
I came across your blog while doing some research about applying for a job in the publishing industry. I was wondering if you could please answer a question for me? If you have a blog about reading is it a good idea to include it on your cv when applying for a publicity role in a publishing house? The answers about including industry related blogs seem to differ according to the industry and I'd love some perspective from you on the issue.

Unknown said...

I just came across your blog while doing research. :) I'm excited to read more. Thanks for sharing and giving me, and others like me, an opportunity to learn more about the industry.