Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Would You Use Twitter to Find a Job?

Rusty Weston on the My Global Career blog posts this question. He then proceeds to tell the story of a Dutch entrepreneur who puts out vacancy announcements over Twitter.

Twitter, BTW, is "a service for friends, family, and coworkers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?" My grandmother, who called us eight times a day even though she lived just three miles away, would have loved it. I, on the other hand, don't have time for it right now.

I suppose any medium that connects people to one another can be used to network for job opportunities. But this seems like a stretch to me. I agree with the entrepreneur that most companies want a cheaper, easier way to find new employees. But I think most companies, especially those in the somewhat conservative publishing industry, aren't ready for this one just yet.

No comments: