Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Integrating Twitter into Your Blog

I'm probably the last person to figure this out. But it's still so cool that I have to share it.

For the past year or so, I have been so enthralled with Twitter that I have neglected this blog. I found it easier to tweet helpful bits of advice there than to write up a few paragraphs about it here. But I know there are people who read the blog but don't follow me on Twitter, so I worry that they are missing out on a lot.

I was poking around on Twitter yesterday trying to verify some stats for an upcoming book. Then I noticed a link at the bottom of the home page that says Goodies. And well, far be it from me to pass up goodies of any sort. The Twitter goodies are buttons and widgets you can put on your site. I clicked on Widgets and found a button that specified that I wanted it on my website (I can't seem to find it today, though!). I was able to pick a widget and customize the colors. Then there was a Blogger button that put it right into my blog. I went into my customization settings and moved it below the AdSense ad (because heaven knows I make a killing off of that! ).

So now, voila! Blog readers can see my most recent tweets. One thing I learned, though, is that things I retweet with the Retweet button do not show up in my widget. So I'm back to doing manual RTs for a while. It takes more time but it also facilitates networking because people can see that I am retweeting them.

And I am deliriously happy with myself!

2 comments:

Notaries for Alabama said...

OK. I'm hooked on your blog. Excellent advice. I've been self-employed for the last four years so I can totally relate to how good you felt about coming across Twitter's goodies. I once had my Twitter feed updating on page one of my business website but somehow I fooled around and did something to remove it. Can't figure it out for the life of me. Your Twitter feed looks awesome on your blog page. Keep up the good work!

Lori Cates Hand said...

Oh, thank you so much! Happy to make your acquaintance here. Let me know if there's a topic you'd like me to write about--I'm starting to run out of ideas!