Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Indianapolis May Lose Flagship Borders Store

Potential bad news for the most awesome bookstore in Indy: Borders is looking for someone to sublease their historic downtown space. I don't live or work downtown, but I have relished a few visits to this unique store, which was built as a bank in 1908.

This, of course, is just a side-effect of the bad times the chain is having--as well as the retail climate in general. I would hate to see this store close, but my gut tells me it's inevitable.

Sure, sure, there's a location near my office in Castleton, and another near my home that is state-of-the-art. But Indy needs something nice like this at one of its "marqee intersections." If it leaves, what will come in its place?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably a Starbucks or Walgreens.

Anonymous said...

Loose? Lose.

Lori Cates Hand said...

Fixed--thanks. You know I know better.

Michael Nolan said...

Hi Lori,

Glad to have found your blog. Yes, this is sad for Indy. I fear it's only the beginning. I just read yesterday about South Street in Philly. So many empty storefronts they're letting artists occupy them for free.