Thursday, April 23, 2009

Egg on Face

Yesterday I dutifully repeated the pronouncement of WSJ writer Mark Penn that there are 452,000 professional bloggers in the U.S. (He also implied that if you get 100,000 unique visitors per month, you automatically get a $70K income.)

Well, guess what? Lots of people are contesting his post. Most were just skeptical (with comments such as "huh?" and "I would like to think this is true, but I doubt it"). The most interesting response I've found yet was this one by Patricio Robles on the Econsultancy blog. He points out that this is an illustration of how quickly misinformation can spread if we trust the source (in this case, the Wall Street Journal, for crying out loud). Mark Twain is enjoying a good laugh at our expense.

Even our favorite train-wreck blogger, Penelope Trunk, found a constructive way to blast the report (see here). Her message is good: Don't blog for the money. Blog for the career opportunities it might produce. (I might add, also blog to help people and keep your writing skills sharp.)

Penn had to post a response to explain hs numbers further, but it reads like a lot of blah-blah to me.

No comments: