Monday, April 7, 2008

Not Another Grammar Blog!

Last night’s installment of ABC’s World News Tonight closed with a segment on Jeff Deck, who’s on a mission to travel across America and fix all the typos he finds. When I saw the report begin, I said, “Oh, and I’ll bet he’s got a blog about it.”

Of course, I was right. Big yawn. Like we haven’t seen this before. Lynne Truss mentioned years ago in her book Eats, Shoots & Leaves that she goes around editing bad signs. The Grammar Vandal is also out there in Boston fixing poor public grammar. We’ve all done it at one time or another, haven’t we? But I guess none of us has taken it on the road like Jeff has. So if you’re interested, you can catch up with Jeff and his Typo Eradication Advancement League here.

But let’s not forget all those others who toil in the name of fixing (or just making fun of) typos. To whit:

Ironically, though, the best-named blog out there, Grammar Police, apparently isn’t about grammar so much as it is about art. Go figure.

Last week Penelope Trunk railed against those who squabble over grammar in the comments section of her blog. She’s got a point—don’t we have better things to do with our time? I’m as much of a stickler as anyone else, but typos do still escape me on this blog from time to time. The blogging medium is immediate, fleeting, and ephemeral. So I feel like the occasional typo should be forgiven and forgotten. I’ve even left a few that I later discovered.

So, having primed you with that, maybe you’re ready for this: I Can Has Cheezburger follows the exploits of a bunch of grammar-challenged cats. I don’t even like cats, but find some of this stuff pretty cute.

No comments: