Friday, March 14, 2008

Dare to Dream: What Would You Do with $275 Million?

Powerball is up to $275 million for tomorrow's drawing. Whenever the jackpot gets high like that, I can't help but think what I would do if I won it.

Most people's inevitable answer involves their employment situation: "Quit my job" or "Not quit my job." I think I know myself well enough to say that I couldn't just stop working. But I think I might reinvent things a little. You know, start my own publishing company and specialize in topics that really interest me, like music, genealogy, Indiana history, parenting, the Internet, and European travel. Rent out a cool historic building on the square in downtown Noblesville and fix it up for offices. Hire a great sales and marketing team. Publish all my friends' books and be an angel investor to worthy causes such as education and green living. Start a charitable foundation for disadvantaged women and ask Oprah and Hillary and Melinda to be on the board of directors. And of course, buy a house someplace warm.

What about you? What would you do with a haul like that? If you say you want to change careers or jobs, what's stopping you from doing that now?

Tonight, when I stop and put 40 bucks worth of gas into my little Toyota, I'm gonna spend an extra $5 and buy myself a chance to dream a little.

No comments: