Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm Going to the "Big Dance" of the Writers' Blog World!

Is there anything worse than being in last place in the office NCAA bracket pool? Yes, it's being second-to-last (the last-place person at least gets their money back). And guess what--that's where I stand, the almost bottom of the barrel. Again. When will I learn?

So it was with no small excitement that I discovered yesterday that the Publishing Careers blog has been named as a contestant in March Writing Blog Madness at the Writer's Resource Center. I already praised this site earlier this month. But now John Hewitt has achieved "genius" ranking in my estimation (and as sole judge, I am not trying to butter him up, really!).

Here's how it works: John has selected a bracket of 32 blogs for writers and is pitting them against one another NCAA style, judging each on a number of criteria. Reading his critiques of each blog is extremely entertaining and enlightening. Although it's tough to read feedback about something as personal as your blog, John is not being brutal to anyone, so I think I'm ready to hear what he has to say.

Looks like my matchup will be in 9 days, against my bracket's #1 seed, Writers Write. I've been getting their e-zine for a dozen years, so I don't hold much hope for an upset. But I am thrilled and honored to be included at all (seeing as how this is not intentionally a blog for writers). Meanwhile, I'm going to have to step up my game and post some quality stuff between now and then.

3 comments:

Poewar said...

Welcome to the big show. I think you know that Blogspot will cost you a couple points, but you do have a few days to switch. Good luck.

John
Poewar.com

Lori Cates Hand said...

Oh John, I have a sinus infection and I'm leaving the country in two weeks. I don't think I'm up to switching blog hosts this month. I guess I'll have to let the chips fall where they may. :)

Mark Roy Long said...

man, talk about blogging death matches. I'm glad we get to watch this one from the sidelines!

Mark