Monday, June 23, 2008

Back on the Chain Gang


My mini-vacation is over and it's back to the office today. The Hand and Lemon families had a splendid little escape from reality, spending four nights at the Blue Door Cottages on the shores of Lake Shafer in Monticello, Indiana. In their defense, I will say that the cottages do indeed have blue doors. But I would have preferred a little more storage space and a lot more cleanliness. But hey, we were roughing it.

On our trip northward, we detoured to West Lafayette to have a greasy lunch at the Triple XXX, a favorite from my husband's college days down the road at Wabash. Then we visited Jason's cousin at the Methodist camp she directs and got to see the new pony named Tater Tot. Then we went to the wind farm to gawk at the hundreds of turbines.

Our first day at Lake Shafer, we rented a pontoon boat and took the kiddies around the lake all day. Day two was spent at Indiana Beach. Man, oh man, talk about Old School. But it was entertaining. Day three we visited friends of friends who own an 1860s farmhouse nearby and have yet more kids.

But now I'm back at work and I forgot to bring back my iPod dock. And we're out of hot chocolate. So I'm sitting here in silence with nothing to drink. Not a good way to start the first day back!

No comments: